Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Information

Mineral Springs School District
 
MSSD has discussed and reviewed advisory details related to the Coronavirus. As with any respiratory virus (cold/flu), it is spread mainly from person-to-person who are in close contact with one another and through droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
 
The key to making sure viruses are reduced as much as possible include teaching students to cover their cough and hand wash with soap and water for 20 seconds. Also, we encourage parents/guardians to make sure they keep their student at home when sick.
 
From a District standpoint, we have been monitoring the situation on a daily basis and are in communication with hospitals, Office of Emergency Management, other school districts, and other governmental agencies. All of us are working with the overall best interest of not only students and staff but community as well.
 
COVID-19: WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT THE CORONAVIRUS
 
What is a coronavirus? What is a novel coronavirus? A coronavirus is the name for a large set of illnesses, including the common cold and other respiratory infections. The term “novel” coronavirus means it’s a new form of the virus.
 
How does the COVID-19 spread? This virus is really transmissible and can spread easily from person to person even before a person develops symptoms. It’s carried on respiratory droplets when we talk, sneeze, and cough and these can land on surfaces or in someone’s mouth or nose. When it comes to respiratory droplets, 6 feet is the magic distance. That’s how far these tiny, infected droplets can travel. Being within 6 feet of someone who is sick can get you or your personal space contaminated with COVID-19.
 
When droplets land on surfaces, we can pick them up with our hands and transfer them to our eyes, mouth, and nose when we touch our faces. This is why hand hygiene is so important. Respiratory secretions (like snot and sputum) are also infectious so cover your coughs and sneezes.
 
What are the symptoms of COVID-19? It typically causes flu-like symptoms. Some patients — particularly the elderly and others with other chronic health conditions — develop a severe form of pneumonia.
 
Patients develop symptoms like fever, muscle and body aches, cough, and sore throat about 5-6 days after infection. Most people will feel pretty miserable for a week and get better on their own. Some people won’t get as sick, but it’s still important not to be out and about, so as not to spread the disease.
 
Is everyone at risk for catching COVID-19? Yes. It doesn’t appear anyone is naturally immune to this particular virus, and there’s no reason to believe anybody has antibodies that would normally protect them.
 
Why do some people with the COVID-19 get sicker than others? It looks like only about 20% of people who contract this novel coronavirus need to be hospitalized. The other 80% get what feels like a bad cold and recover at home. A lot of this has to do with underlying medical conditions. People who are more vulnerable to any kind of infection — because of their age or chronic health conditions — are more at risk for getting really sick from COVID-19.
 
That said, some otherwise healthy people do seem to be getting sicker from this infection than we would expect. We don’t understand why that is or what might be different about these patients. If you have COVID-19 and you are getting sicker and sicker instead of better and better, you should contact your doctor. Be sure to call first so they know to expect you.
 
How can I protect myself? Take the preventive actions you do for the cold and flu. This includes avoiding close contact with people who are sick; not touching your eyes, nose and mouth; washing your hands thoroughly and frequently; and cleaning and disinfecting objects and surfaces you come in contact with regularly